One of my earliest childhood food memory is of an elderly man, coming around the neighbourhood late in the evening selling these delectable goodies on his push bike. Sitting right behind him was a big old claypot, filled with an assortment of chilli, tofu, tomatoes, bittermelon, eggplant and string beans stuffed with a mixture of pork and fish paste. The spicy chilli and tofu was our favourite.
This morning I came accross some large red chilli at the fruit and veg market. I also picked up some tofu and asked my MIL if she could make stuff chilli and tofu. And as usual without any hesitation she would go digging through the freezer, gathering all the other ingredients she needed. Wonderful she is!
1 dozen large red chilli
1 packet tofu ( regular firm)
Veg. oil for frying
500g pork mince
500g prawn, peeled
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp sugar
Oyster gravy Sauce
1 tbsp garlic minced
2 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp corn flour
2 cup water
1. To prepare the chilli- run the knife along the length of the chilli on one side and remove any seeds. Set aside, repeat with the remaining chilli.
2. To prepare the tofu- remove from packet and place on paper towel to remove excess water. Cut each square into 2 equal size pieces, run the knife horizontally and slice into 2 thinner square pieces. Set aside, repeat with the remaining tofu.
3. To prepare the filling- flatten the prawns with the back of a clever or large knife, repeat with the remaining prawns.
4. Add the prawns into a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients and mix well with hand until the mixture become slightly sticky. Place in fridge for half an hour.
5. Remove pork and prawns filling and stuff into the chilli and smooth out the expose surface of filling. Repeat with the rest.
6. Place a tbsp of the pork and prawn filling on top of the tofu. (Dust tofu with cornflour to helps bind the two together). Repeat with the rest.
7. Any left over filling can be rolled into little meat balls.
8. On med-high heat, fill the frying pan with up to 1 cm of oil and pan fry the chilli until cooked, set aside. do the same for the meat balls and tofu.
9. To make the oyster gravy sauce-using the same pan remove excess oil from frying pan leaving about a tbsp of oil. Sauté the garlic until fragrant, careful not to brown. Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a large container, stir mixture to dissolve cornflour.
10. Lower heat and add the cornflour mixture to the pan and stir until it thickens.
11. Arrange the chilli, tofu and meat balls back into the pan. Allow to simmer on low heat for couple of minute with lid on before serving. Enjoy!